I made a spell oil for Release spells (its generic to any kind of release) and I really like the way it turned out, so I thought I would share a release spell that incorporates some of the same elements, because right now is the perfect time to LET SHIT GO.
Release spells are things we tend not to pay that much attention to, unless we have a bothersome ex or can’t get over our anger or hate toward someone.
They’re not flashy and popular like love spells or money spells. I think its also because we don’t often think really hard on the things we need to release, and how uncomfortable that process can be emotionally and psychologically.
But there are soooo many good reasons to release things, and soooo many other things we may want to release, but have no idea we want to or need to release them, until we really think about it.
What should you release? Well, that’s up to you. Consider any of the following, but not limited to:
- self growth areas (self-doubt, negative self-talk, self-destructive habits)
- toxic or otherwise negative people
- poor eating habits
- excessive drinking
- exes you keep drunk texting
- clothes you’re never going to wear again
- items in your home you never use and don’t intend to
- open browser tabs you think you’re going to remember to go back to
- grief over something you can’t control
- worry over something you can’t control
- drawers full of old papers and documents (esp if 10+ years old)
I could keep going. we’ve all been through at least half, if not all, of the things on the list.
So there are some things you may not have thought about releasing, but maybe now you will.
What you will need:
- 1 tsp dried orange peel, or dried orange slices
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp cedar shavings or cedar incense leaves/needles
- 1/2 – 1 tsp dried honeysuckle
- 1 tsp (about 3 thick slices) ginseng root (preferably dried)
- 5 drops sandalwood essential oil (you can use absolute oil if you can’t find EO)
- 5 drops jasmine essential oil
- cauldron or stone/ceramic bowl that is heat proof
- candle and matches or lighter
- scrap of paper and pen
- Mix the dried herbs and essential oils in the cauldron. Using one of the matches, light your candle, then light the herb mixture. you want some good aromatic smoke coming off the cauldron contents, so may need to blow on it to get it going.
- Close your eyes for a minute or two and visualize yourself how you will exist after you have released whatever you are releasing. What will you look like? What will you feel like? Where will you be? Will you gain something like money, respect, or career advancement? Will you reconnect with a loved one? How will your life be better?
- Picture exactly what you want the final outcome of the release to manifest for you. Hold that image in your mind for a minute longer until it feels as if its happening right now.
- Open your eyes and write on the scrap of paper your exact outcome. It must be in present tense. (do not write ‘I will stop smoking.’ write ‘i no longer smoke.’)
- Place the scrap of paper into the cauldron with the herbs and let it alight. If it does not catch, use another match to light it carefully inside the cauldron.
It is optional say anything out loud, but if you’d like, here is a great release incantation:
letting go, letting go
away from me you will flow
i release you, i release you
no longer will you grow
- As your paper burns, and smoke rises, you can repeat the incantation if you wish, but it is important to visualize the smoke rising as whatever you are releasing. If you want to stop smoking, the smoke rising is your impulse or dependency on cigarettes or nicotine. If you want to let go of a toxic person, the smoke rising is your desire to be in contact with them. and so forth.
- Open a window to let the released energy and intent out and away from you.
- Feel free to meditate on your purpose or outcome further at this point, if your herbs or paper are still burning. I sometimes like to sit and meditate or psychically mull over my intention and outcomes as my candles or other burning things burn down or go out, as a signal of the spell being complete and sealed.
- Once the cauldron contents have finished smoking, take them and bury them at the base of a tree or toss them into a body of water flowing away from you.
This combination of herbs and oils is great for any general releasing spell, but i find it is also particularly effective for self-growth types of releases, like self love, commitment to letting go of self-destructive habits, and moving forward from bad habits.