This is probably one of the simplest things you can do as a witch, especially if you are just starting out, but lots and lots of seasoned witches use this in their practice, too.
Floor washes probably fall somewhere in the Kitchen Witch category, but by no means do you need to define yourself as a Kitchen Witch to do this.
I think virtually every culture I’ve met a witch from has some variation of magickal floor wash, which tells me the ancestors were certainly onto something.
What is a magickal floor wash?
Just in case you’re still wondering what I’m talking about, magickal floor washes are mixtures that you put together to wash, mop, scrub, or otherwise apply to your floors to act as a spell.
So, instead of lighting candles, calling the corners, reciting incantations, or making crystal grids, you’re putting symbolically meaningful herbs or plant extracts together with other substances to create a spell that you apply to your floors (or walls, or furniture, or whatever) to yield the results you want.
I feel like I should interject here that floors seem to be the most effective place to apply these and my guess is that this is because symbolically they are a foundation for the rest of our physical life. We literally live on top of them, so whatever we apply to them, affects every part of our life.
I mentioned floor washes a little bit in my post about spiritual cleansing for your home, but protection and cleansing are not the only things that floor washes do.
A magickal floor wash is simply the carrier for your intent, and your intent could be anything. Here are some suggestions for things to create floor washes for:
- prosperity (financial, or otherwise)
- deterring negative or malevolent spirits
- washing away bad habits
and I’m sure you can think of others.
What You Will Need:
- water, probably between 2-3 liters, or almost a gallon; any kind will do, I use distilled water so that plant extracts aren’t muddled but I’m also super weird about water in general so it probably doesn’t matter what kind of water you use
- salt (this is optional, but if you’re doing a banishing, removal, protection, then salt may be recommended)
- herbs, flowers, plants of your choice corresponding to your intent for the spell
- essential oils if you prefer to use those
- a big ass pot on the stove
- a mesh strainer
- a clean glass mixing bowl
- a clean spray bottle or bucket
How to Make a Magickal Floor Wash:
- Pour the water in the pot and bring it to a boil. Add your plant matter. Reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Pour through the strainer into the clean glass bowl. If you don’t have glass, metal is okay but may leach a bit of ions into the formula, which may not matter much with a floor wash. If plastic is all you have, its okay, but not ideal due to plastic retaining the scents and compounds of whatever you put in it that’s hot.
- If you are adding any other water-based ingredients like Florida water or plant extracts, now is the time to add them.
- Add any essential oils you want to add at this point. Take strained plants and dump them in your garden soil, at the base of a tree, or a compost pile.
- I like to give it all a good stir and while I’m doing that, I’m visualizing all my intent (whatever emotion or outcome I want to happen) flowing down my arm, through the spoon, and into the mixture. Sing, hum, play music, whatever you want, but stir all that good emotion and energy into your mixture.
- Once the liquid has cooled enough to handle, pour it into the spray bottle. Shake well before spraying to make sure any essential oils that settle out are re-combined.
If you have carpeted floors in some or all of your living space, you can do a couple of things. Vacuum them first, then either spray the solution and let it sit and dry on them, or spray it on the carpet and use a steamer to run over it, then spray another layer that you let dry.
Suggested Combinations for Floor Washes:
If you need a few to get you started, here are some go-to mixtures for me (any plants can be dried or fresh, your choice):
To Attract Prosperity or Money
- 2-3 Tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp mint (any kind you want)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (ground or EO)
- 1/4 cup chamomile flowers
To Attract Love
- 1/4 cup rose petals or buds
- 2-3 Tbsp jasmine buds
- 1-2 Tbsp coriander
- 1-2 tsp minced or chopped ginger
To Protect from Negative Energy
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup carnation buds
- 1/4 cup hyssop
- myrrh (usually 5-10 drops EO works better than the resin here)
- optional: a few Tbsp Florida water and/or salt
To Bring Happiness to a Home
- 2-3 Tbsp rosemary
- 1/2 lemon, sliced (you can use lemon EO as well)
- 2 Tbsp marjoram
- 1-2 tsp ginseng diced, minced, ground, or otherwise