so, wow, things are kinda strange for all of us right now, right? I’m sure there’s nobody reading this (if you’re reading it in March 2020) that hasn’t been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic at this point, in some small or large way.
Protection is on everyone’s mind. Whether its protection from illness, protection from economic disaster, protection from social unrest, or other possibly terrible outcomes we may all be afraid of at this time.
I’ve put together a very basic protection spell that you can use as is, or which you can adapt to further personalize for your own needs.
If you want to read a little bit about protection spells in general, or want something you can do quickly that does not require anything other than yourself, check out this post on what protection spells are.
What you will need:
- an oil or two of your choice. These oils are great for protection magick:
- an herb or two of your choice. These herbs hold great power and symbolism in protection magick:
- black pepper
- there are lots of others, so please feel free to substitute based on your specific needs!
- a pot of water or a mortar and pestle (choose one, you don’t need both)
- if using a mortar and pestle to grind your herbs and oils, I recommend getting a small piece of fabric (at least 6″x6″) and a string, in which you will place the contents to keep with you or to hang above the entrance to your home
- salt, to cast a circle in which to work
How to cast the spell:
- Wash your hands.
- Optional: you can dab a few small drops of each of the oils you’ve chosen onto your forehead, heart, belly, wrists, or other places on your body before beginning. I’m a huge fan of scent magic, and find that our sense of smell can play an enormous role in how powerfully we channel our energy and get into our best state of mind for spellcasting!
- Gather all of ingredients
- If using a kitchen pot, sprinkle a circle of salt around you and your workspace (this is probably the space immediately surrounding your stove). Fill the pot with ~2-3 cups of purified, spring, or distilled water. Place a couple tablespoons of each herb and 5-6 drops of each oil in the water. Bring the water to a boil.
- If using the mortar and pestle, sprinkle a circle of salt around you and your workspace. Place a tablespoon of each herb and about 3-4 drops of each oil in the mortar. Grind them together thoroughly, turning the mortar bowl clockwise as you do so with your free hand.
- As your spell mixture either boils or is ground, feel free to call upon any deities or energies with whom you work or feel compelled to entreat with, then repeat the following words five (5) times:
“Encircle [name what/who you wish to protect] in your mighty arms
Protect [name what/who you wish to protect] from all harm
Reflect back and return all ill
I have spoken, this is my will”
7. If you are boiling on the stove, leave your mixture to boil for at least one hour afterward, permeating your home and all its corners. Hint: sometimes I let this cool off after a couple of hours and then put into a spray bottle, which I save and re-apply to the doors, windows, and passageways periodically throughout the next month. If not saving to spray later, dump the content out into your garden or other outdoor space to return the herbs and oils to the earth.
8. If you are using the mortar and pestle, scrape your mixture from the mortar bowl and place into the center of the fabric scrap. Bring all 4 corners of the scrap together so that it makes a pouch and tie the string around the fabric to create a sealed charm bag. Keep the bag with you, give it to the person you are protecting, or place it near the entrance to your home, depending on your desired target of protection. When you feel like you no longer need this, or if it has been a year, empty the contents of your charm back to the earth.